Philippians: Christ, the Source of Joy and Strength Spiral-Bound | December 29, 2015
John F. MacArthur
★★★★☆+ from 31 to 100 ratings
Philippians: Christ, the Source of Joy and Strength
Circumstances... They are not all they're cracked up to be. For instance, Paul wrote his letter to the Philippians from a Roman prison cell, yet despite those dire circumstances, his major theme in the letter was joy
How did Paul find joy in a Roman prison cell? He didn't! He took his joy in Christ into jail with him. Paul's circumstances did not dictate his attitude. In this letter, he demonstrated several life attitudes that were shocking in their audacity and counter intuitiveness:
- Rejoice in the Lord, always
- Living means living for Christ, and dying is even better
- Think of others as better than yourselves
- Whatever things were gain, count them as loss
- You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!
—ABOUT THE SERIES—
The MacArthur Bible Study series is designed to help you study the Word of God with guidance from widely respected pastor and author John MacArthur. Each guide provides intriguing examinations of the whole of Scripture by examining its parts and incorporates:
- Extensive, but straight-forward commentary on the text.
- Detailed observations on overriding themes, timelines, history, and context.
- Word and phrase studies to help you unlock the broader meaning and apply it to your life.
- Probing, interactive questions with plenty of space to write down your response and thoughts.
Widely known for his thorough, candid approach to teaching God's Word, John MacArthur is a popular author and conference speaker. He has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, since 1969. John and his wife, Patricia, have four married children and fifteen grandchildren. John's pulpit ministry has been extended around the globe through his media ministry, Grace to You, and its satellite offices in seven countries. In addition to producing daily radio programs for nearly two thousand English and Spanish radio outlets worldwide, Grace to You distributes books, software, and digital recordings by John MacArthur. John is chancellor of The Master's University and Seminary and has written hundreds of books and study guides, each one biblical and practical. Bestselling titles include The Gospel According to Jesus, Twelve Ordinary Men, Twelve Extraordinary Women, Slave, and The MacArthur Study Bible, a 1998 ECPA Gold Medallion recipient.